Sunday, June 9, 2013

Spearfishing with Rollerguns in Qatar

1100 Rob Allen Rollergun conversion
My PB 27kg Spanish Mack shot with 1100 rollergun
I have just returned from a few weeks away diving the Arabian Gulf, more specifically off the coast of Qatar. I went out there for some filming and magazine work and was fortunate enough to get to stay with Mohammed Jassim Al Kuwari. Ever since his epic film 'Going East' I have wanted to get out there and do some spearfishing, and this trip exceeded all my wildest dreams!
Massive sand dunes at the 'Inland Sea'
Coming from sub-tropical Africa, Qatar is a bit of a shock to the system. Sand and more sand, and other than some crazy high sand dunes the country is flat. But the sea is nothing like the land and fish are a plenty, well thats if you know where to go get them. The ocean is shallow for a long way and there is not much structure, so when you find some structure, no matter how small you are going to find fish.

rollergun
Mohammed 'MJK' hunting Spanish Mack in the shoals of Bludger and Pickhandles.
I had hoped to have gotten some of the massive Amberjack while there but they just did not seem to be around. So we just had a blast with the Spanish Mackerel, which they call 'Kingfish'. The place is amazing for spearfishing Spanish Mack and I have never seen fish like that ever. 
On the first day after filming we decided to go catch some Mangrove Snappers which are plentiful. I grabbed a short 1100 roller gun, loaded up and turned around to a 27kg Spanish Mack checking me out. That was the first fish of the trip for me and my PB Spanish Mack.
Rollergun test
An Assortment of spearguns converted to roller guns with Power Rollerheads
On a couple days when the vis was not great for filming we did some spearfishing just for fun. On the one day I broke my previous PB on Spanish Mack 4 times ... it was too insane.
Another great part of the trip was using and testing the Power Rollerhead conversions on the spearguns. Not only did we smash the fish but we spent a whole day in a pool testing a whole range of rollerguns and comparing them for a review I am doing for the Ultimate Spearfishing Magazine.

Rob Allen rollergun conversion
MJK 28kg Spanish Mackerel with 1300 Rob Allen Rollergun
The spearfishing was insane and we shot so many good fish, learnt loads about rollerguns and I had an experience I will never forget. Mohammed finished off our time together with catching a massive 28kg Spanish Mack a great way to finish off our time together. Look out for a full report on the trip and the rollergun review in the next edition of USM ... I think it will change the way you look at spearguns!

Cheers for now

Coatesman


For more on rollerguns read:

Unrolling the Roller - Rollergun Test and Comparison

The Ultimate Rollergun Test

Some more interesting
Spanish Mackerel Facts - Read Here

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

could you please do a story on the RA roller head conversion? :)